Wednesday, January 14, 2009

"Signed, Sealed, Delivered"

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."

Anonymous


As I pulled into the dark, emptier than usual parking lot of The Gym very early this morning, it hit me...this is The Week. This is the week, for me at least, where I start assessing how important that New Year's Resolution really was. I begin to analyze whether it is really that necessary, if it is worth all of the time and energy ....just to get more time and energy. As I parked my car and faced the blast of arctic air, I stepped into a vacant gym; it seemed lonely. There were only a few machines occupied, maybe only one hardcore weight lifter (you know the one who uses free weights and wears that big leather belt)...I think I may have seen a tumbleweed roll across the desolate hallway. Apparently, this is The Week for some others as well.


I will admit, my goals are often too lofty even for the most determined individual. Sometimes even as I write them down, devising a web of schemes in my mind, I know it is more than I can handle. Though I have tried desperately not to repeat my past mistakes of overestimation...to some degree I have found that old habits do, in fact, die hard. I have however, over the course of time, found that while my goals are often completely unrealistic, when the dust settles, I find that I have always achieved something.



In this case, my simple goal of becoming a better human being in every possible facet of my life, combined with the goal of utilizing every spare minute of my life in the most effective manner possible, may have been a bit overzealous...just a little. I did not take into account sick children, teething baby, traffic jams, work debacles, or the myriad of other things that I simply cannot schedule in advance. Hmmmm....you would think I could have seen those things coming. In fact, I did know those things were bound to happen, but what I always seem to forget is that they always happen just when I have set a course for greatness. Always. Within the first "setback" my memory was jogged, so I didn't panic, but put on my life preserver and just tried to wait for the storm to pass. I tried to stick closely to my goal of eating at home, planning meals, getting to the gym, and of course, making the coffee the night before.



I am happy to report that although I did experience all of the aforementioned obstacles, none of them were deal breakers. The Gym welcomed me back this morning like a host with no guests as the party...relieved to see me. My kids are on the mend, my two weeks of prepared meals have actually been stretched into about 3 and half weeks, my BOA though not as organized as I would like- still holds all of the answers, and I even got a few things accomplished for work in the midst of it all. One thing has changed.



I am by nature very focused and often inflexible. As a mother, to some degree, you have to redefine "perfection" from the moment your nursery is stacked high with dirty burp towels and your kitchen is littered with pizza boxes cupcake sprinkles from last night's sleepover. Still, I have struggled with enjoying the moment that I am in...always. Over the course of the past two weeks, really since the schedule has run a muck and I have been skating on thin ice as far as keeping the resolution, I have made new realizations. These are not ground breaking realizations, but ones that from time to time I seem to need reminding of.



1. Enjoy the simple stuff and make the simple stuff enjoyable.

I started drinking grape juice from a wine glass...because it is prettier and I hate wine. Why should wine drinkers be the only ones to drink from stemware?



2. Make a mess and clean it up later.

This one was tough for me, but I in fact made cupcakes with 4 year olds and let them confetti the floor with assorted sprinkles.



3. Every minute doesn't have to be totally "productive". Take time to relax.

I discovered I love "30 Rock". Who knew? I never allowed myself to take time to watch anything...That is a ridiculously funny show.



4. Count your blessings.

Beyond my daily prayers...I like to try to remember everything God has ever done for/with/to me. It is nice to know I don't actually have all of the answers....even though I had a few of you going for a while.



5. Be silly.

Who doesn't love a good dance party? Don't "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"? I personally am not an advocate for those weird armpit noises, or anything like that, but if it helps you crack a smile...why not?



So yes, this is The Week. The week where I have reassessed my goals and simultaneously redefined perfection. While I have to juggle the activities, the meals, the homework, the Work work, the doting husband, and the plethora of other responsibilities of mother-wife-work-woman-hood, I am determined to enjoy the moment I am in. This is the week I make a habit out of more than diet and exercise....this is week I make a habit out of laughing at my chubby baby's thighs, show off my grape juice mustache and dance to my favorite Stevie Wonder song. I might not even schedule these activities....BOOO-YAHH! How's that's for living in the moment!!?

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow that was funny...your best yet. Uhh Mom laughed out loud...she LOL'ed when I read the part about taking time to relax. I laughed at your BOO YAHH! ahhh you brought tears to my eyes. I love it. I should be inspired to work on my blog, but it would pale in comparison to your litterary genius.

    ReplyDelete