Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Chasing the Carrot

For whatever reason, I feel compelled to challenge myself. Of course I try to keep my goals realistic, but if you have been reading for any length of time, you know that most of the time I miss the mark. I have decided I may have some disorder...something that pushes me to obligate myself to do things that are just outside my reach, just to see if I can surprise myself. I have elected to name this disorder "Chasing the Carrot" Syndrome.

Chasing the Carrot Syndrome does not require any record of actual success and does not require any future successes either. It is the mere pursuit that motives the Carrot Chaser. Just as a horse is enticed by a fresh carrot to walk, run, roll over...or whatever horses do, a Carrot Chaser follows a reward that may never really be hers.

For me, the reward is walking through the steps just to see if I can get to the other side...maybe I should've named it the Just Because I Can Syndrome, that certainly embodies my attitude. I do not always reach my goals, but most of the time I learn something in the process. I have recently agreed to run a marathon, a 5K, participate in a sprint triathlon, complete a century bike ride aptly named the Hotter than Hell Ride (sounds awesome, right?) in addition to the MS150 (that's 150 miles in two days). I agreed to those events because I have learned that I have to have goals to keep myself motivated. What is slightly entertaining are the simple facts that I do not enjoy running, yet...but I hope to, I haven't ever really been swimming for much more than to practice my cannonball form, and while I am a cyclist, I haven't been on a bicycle in at least a year since I was "with child"....so, obviously I am in tip top condition for a few endurance events. Clearly.

With all of these activities, I need some new gear and gear ain't cheap. As a part of my New Year's Resolution to "be more efficient", I have begun to employ every money saving technique I can find. From a neatly organized coupon binder, to the almighty BOA, to preparing as many meals in advance...the bottom line is eating at home and saving as much money as I can. I figure I could save even more money by skipping a meal every day, knitting all outerwear for the family (perhaps even some of this gear that I need...hmmm), and converting my car to bio diesel, but that seems like overkill, don't ya think? I have an amount of money that I am trying to save, and as you can imagine it is a bit aggressive, but once again...Chasing the Carrot just to see if I can.

Of course, there does come a point that one must say "No." to certain obligations. In those moments, where I can feel myself getting a little out of control, I really do have to analyze my priorities. I make every attempt to set goals that I can achieve without disrupting the family schedule too terribly much. However, I do try to allow myself a little time, as required...but I do have to keeping monitoring all of the carrots I am chasing, because really, how much can one horse eat?

The long and the short is that goals keep me going, and without them I am a slacker that gets very little accomplished. In every facet of my life I have to set goals so that I can, to steal a line from the ARMY, "be all that I can be". However, at times, the goals can take over and become a cloud of dreaded obligation that I neither want to face, or admit that I actually created. Those are the moments when I have to say "no" to myself. No, One Busy Mom, you may not reorganize all of the cabinets tonight because you can find the basil...that is just dumb.No, On Busy Mom, you may not take an adult tap dancing class...hang up your dancin' dreams, now is not the time. No, One Busy Mom, you may not take up knitting because #1 Yarn, it's not so cheap #2 you have the patience of a 2 year old #3 knitting, really...you are SO not that cool.

If you are someone you know is living with Chasing the Carrot Syndrome, please remember to be kind. CCS'ers are sensitive to loud noises and may startle easily, due in part to their high tension level and lack of sleep. CCS'ers may also be very unreliable, over obligating themselves, only to find there are, in fact, not enough hours in the day. Chronic list making, color coding all inanimate objects, becoming proficient in all known hobbies are just a few of the warning signs...seek help to identify a positive recovery or management program near you.

1 comment:

  1. I am, in fact, a CCSer myself with a few rotten carrots in my bag. So, I ask, at what point in the meeting last night did you think this carrot might be a little more loftier than other carrots? Could it have been the swimming lessons 3 x's a week or perhaps the conditioner that must remain on your follicles at all times while swimming?

    ReplyDelete