Monday, January 5, 2009

Keepin' It Real

They said it couldn't be done...and they were right. I had a goal of cooking all meals for a month, in one day. I quickly realized that this was too far fetched, even for me...the most stubborn woman alive. I do think I could accomplish this next month with proper planning, but for now, I need to be realistic. Given my time frame of about half a day, I had to shop for, plan and prepare as many meals as time would allow.



Perhaps you are wondering why I chose to go to the trouble. As mentioned in my earlier post, eating out is a very bad habit in my family. The goal for the month is to eat out only on Saturdays after church. In order to accomplish this seemingly simple task I had to take some drastic measures...drastic for me, anyway. So, with the help of a good friend and the Internet, I rounded up enough recipes to get us through the month. I only had time to cook for about two weeks, but two weeks is a good start.



Of course, with my lofty goal, my limited time and my unwillingness to have to write an defeat post...I was determined to have all two weeks finished by the end of the day on Sunday. It seems that every time I make a decision to do something, everything else interferes. This time was no different. However, as the hours passed me by and I felt the weight of the task ahead looming, I knew that it still could be done. Sure enough, at almost 6:30 p.m., I settled in to cook for the night. While I was only able to make 1 lasagna, 4 casseroles, marinate some chicken, and cook up some beef for spaghetti sauce...combining this with my crock pot plans and some quick fix meals gets me to my goal of two weeks of meals! Can anyone else hear angels singing, or is that just me?



My joy was short lived when I was informed that my beloved dog Max had died. It was really sad, still is in fact. Max, my child before I had children, passed away from old age. This would be a perfect opportunity to abandon my resolve and just sleep in and eat Krispy Kremes all day.... Every time I have ever made a decision for any kind of positive change in my life, I have nearly always had some tragic mishap, obstacle, or some unforeseen series of events that have popped up. So, while I am very sad about Max, and will miss him, I also realize that I cannot let this deter me from my set course. Max would want it that way...actually no, Max would want to eat Krispy Kremes with me....

There is so much more to discuss on this busy week back from the holiday- fitness, keeping up with chores, bedtime stories, and so much more. Stay tuned as I update how this epic week will unfold. Next post, Busy Mom reunites with the gym....can they mend their broken relationship?

1 comment:

  1. You're hilarious. I never realized you had such a love affair with Krispy Kreme

    ReplyDelete