Thursday, January 1, 2009

Preparing for Battle

"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
We'll need supplies.
Who doesn't love a good office supply? I can still remember the joy and elation I felt as a young child when I opened my first typewriter at Christmas, alongside a new clipboard and stationary. The smell of new paper, and sharp, unused highlighters....Don't even get me started on shopping for school supplies! Knowing my own propensity for attempting to over organize, just so I can have an excuse to buy extra dividers and notebooks, I decided to fight against my fleshly desires and keep it simple.
"Tips for Conquering the World" simply states, "Get organized". There is no mention of elaborate organization schemes, programs, bins, files, color coded folders...as attractive as they may be...they may be useless. In this situation, whereby I am trying to consolidate my life into one easy to use format, less is definitely more. So here is what I came up with.
My main issue is paper. What to keep, what to toss, where to store..paper. Constantly, there is a note from school, a birthday invitation, a bill, a cute art project being handed to me as though I know where to put it. It usually ends up on the entry table in a terrible heap until I can't stand it, or until we have guests. I have about three different collection areas, with one main "hub". The solution, one 3" three ring binder, a set of dividers and a box of page protectors. I am calling this genius creation the Book of Answers (BOA)....clever, I know. I have divided the notebook up into several categories and put about 100 page protectors in the notebook. To satisfy my own personal office supply addiction, I grabbed a sticky note dispenser and placed it neatly on the inside cover of my notebook. The plan is to put all school menus, bills, warranties, schedules, coupons, birthday invites......ALL of it into this notebook. The page protectors make it easy to add or remove items and keep everything uniform, so those small little birthday invites aren't lost in the shuffle.What about those adorable paintings from the kids? I bought a couple of corrugated storage boxes and placed it near the "hub" so that all of the keepers are kept neatly in this box, for which I don't have a fancy acronym.
"Get an Engagement Calendar"
For me, this is my phone. I put everything into my phone and add little reminders....not that I would forget or anything (nervous smile). The problem: Busy Husband often has plans or obligations that conflict with mine which are usually undiscovered until we are both preparing to leave at the same time and neither of us is holding the diaper bag. I created a calendar on my computer that lists any current obligations for the month and blank calendars for subsequent months...I can print these off and keep it in the BOA for quick reference. I also created a separate calendar which simply shows our regular weekly schedule with things like school, work and afterschool activities...but I added in a few hours for me to run to the gym or do errands. Why? I decided that part of the reason I am not taking time for myself is because I haven't scheduled it. Everyone else has their life scheduled and by the end of the day there isn't any time for me. My hope is that in using these calendars, all confusion about our activities and obligations will evaporate and the few windows of time I have to take care of me will be utilized. We'll see how this goes.
Some would say I am over thinking, and yet once again, over planning. Perhaps President Eisenhower is right....these plans may in fact be futile, but they are necessary. I have discovered that these plans motivate me to start making changes that will allow me to spend quality time with my kids and perhaps even a little time all by myself! Whether or not the change comes from the fancy new notebook or from some other system all together, the point is that order is restored to a chaotic life.
Stay tuned...next I try to pinpoint my timewasters....no, not my kids!

1 comment:

  1. I think that the BOA is genius and I fear...I am going to steal the idea for myself. Keep up the hard work...so I don't have to. I will use your blog as a quick reference or HOW TO Guide for myself in a few months. :)

    ReplyDelete